Natural Mindfulness for Children - A Course for Educators
Time & Location
About the Event
Saturday 24th August - 11:00am to 4:00pm
Sunday 25th August - 11:00am to 4:00pm
This 10-hour course is suitable for children’s educators in all fields – primary school teachers, yoga teachers, home-educators, parents and carers, school counsellors, social workers – anyone who is interested in sharing the benefits of natural mindfulness with children aged 2-12 years old. You will receive a comprehensive course manual with activity descriptions for future reference.
Children are naturally very mindful and have an in-built curiosity and interest in learning about the natural world. In this 10-hour course you will learn a variety of tools for using natural mindfulness with children to help them feel more grounded, connected, and confident – more ‘at home’ within themselves.
The ‘Natural Mindfulness for Children’ educator course uses a minimalist, nature-based approach to mindfulness, embracing children’s natural inquisitiveness and curiosity. The activities presented in this course may assist children to strengthen connection with each other and the Earth, as well as developing compassion and cooperation.
Educators attending this course will learn about:
- Utilising the breath as a tool for focus and relaxation
- Body-based mindful movement exercises (yoga shapes and sequences)
- Listening activities to develop focus and calm, including story-telling, & using a ‘mindfulness bell’
- Hands-on creative activities using natural materials. Take your unique creations home with you!
- Mindful practices for parents and educators to stay cool, calm and collected
- Upon completion of the course, attendees receive a certificate for 10 hours. Attendees also take home a comprehensive course manual with activity descriptions for future reference, as well as numerous ‘work samples’ of natural weaving and clay creations.
Meet Sarah Owen:
Sarah Owen is a qualified primary school teacher with over 15 years’ experience working with children, including teaching yoga and mindfulness in schools. Sarah continues to develop natural play-based curricula and teaching programs to educate her young son from home. She is the creator of Natural Mindfulness for Children. The Natural Mindfulness for Children program utilizes a minimalist and naturalist approach that embraces children’s creativity and uses natural materials for printing, sculpture and simple hands-on play, as well as creatively engaging with the breath, the body and the Earth.